Thursday, January 14, 2016

Manage your time in 18 minutes

I listened to an interview with Peter Bregman at the Peak Work Performance Summit. Ron Friedman, the host of the summit told that it was his favorite interview. Here are my notes:

Master the impulse to distraction. Manage time like meditation. 

Use 18 minutes process to manage your time: 5 minutes in morning, 1 minute each hour, and 5 minutes in evening. 

In the morning, use a calendar, not a to do list. Plan when and where you will do things. Think strategically on what you want to do. Transfer to a calendar.

During the workday, use your alarm or beep on the hour. Ask yourself: Am I doing what I most want to do? Am I being what I most want to be? Am I spending my time wisely? It is an intentional and strategic distraction.

At the end, reflect and appreciate. What did I accomplish? Who do I thank?

Your to do list is an intake document. Have 6 boxes in your to do list. The 5 boxes are the important ones. The sixth box is for everything else. Ask: What are most important to focus? If not, is it part of 5%? If it's part of the 5%, it should not be majority of my time. I'm strategic and intentional.


Don't set goals. Have areas of achievement. Focus on reasons underneath goals. Have Post-it note on your screen.

If you don't finish at the end, you can put it back tomorrow. Where does this fit in?

How do I manage my discomfort? Everything is driven by feelings. My book will be about barefoot leadership. Emotional courage builds leadership. We don't do something because we don't want to feel something. If you can feel failure, you can do something that could fail.

If you're not delivering results, that will be important. We have to be responsible. I'd like to be at this meeting, but I'm doing this. Ask: How can I manage this? We're not here to please bosses. We're here to achieve results.

Ipad is distraction for me. Put that on the not to do list. Have 4 seconds. Stop counter productive habits. Take a deep breath.

When you are late, you can say: Sorry I'm late. Thank you for your flexibility. I'm sorry for keeping you waiting. Replace excuse to acknowledge impact.

I've never seen a leader get mad at someone taking responsibility. Take responsibility. If you screw up, better own it. It's not failure that kills you. Denial or defense of failure can kill you. The solution is to own up to failure. Take ownership for everything you contributed.

No comments:

Post a Comment