Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Learn legal aid

Today was the first day for the orientation for the Office of Legal Aid (OLA). We were supposed to have the list of accepted OLA summer applicants before the orientation started. But you know what happened? The director raffled off the slots. Then we asked her that students who need to take summer OLA because of back subjects should be allowed to take it while those who can take it in the first semester can waive their slot. So the sixty applicants for OLA 1 were reduced to thirty two students.

But this work of choosing the applicants was supposed to be the director's job before we came to the orientation. She was supposed to look at the grades received and the units to be taken by each applicant and determine if summer OLA is necessary. The list of accepted applicants was supposed to be released last week. But it was not yet done, and we had to do the selection for ourselves on the orientation itself. This was annoying because it seems that the director did not do her job, and she just relied on the students to take or waive their slots. I can do a better job, and I will do so.

Fortunately, the rest of the day went smoothly. We learned judicial affidavits from one of the regular supervising attorneys. We watched the film Give Up Tomorrow, a documentary about Paco Larranaga who was convicted for the rape and murder of the Chiong sisters. Is he innocent or guilty? If he is innocent, why is he still in jail?

After the seminar, I bought food and groceries, went home, and ate a hamburger and mac and cheese. I studied corporation law, but I felt bad so I slept. When I woke up, I took a bath and applied medicine to my rashes. My body is stressing again with my rashes and fatigue. Then I surfed the internet and watched the first part of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Maybe I can sleep earlier than midnight tonight. For tomorrow, we will learn more about OLA and cross examination and receive our cases. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment