Thursday, April 18, 2013

Go back

I went to the office today to transfer a case to the newest member of the team. However he was not yet there and our team leader was not yet ready to get it for him.

I went to the lab to work on a project. I met again the law students from Ateneo de Davao and exchanged numbers. Then they had to go out. So I drafted rejection letters in Filipino. It was like writing to someone as though I were talking to him.

I went back to school and checked my grades in special proceedings. I got 3W on my final exam. Since I got 3.0 on my midterm exam and grades of 3.0, 2.75, and 2.75 for my recitation, my average should be 3.0. I'm grateful that I passed.

Now I can pay my tuition without fear of failing my last remedial law subject. I would like to take Remedial Law Review but if the teacher is Professor Avena, I might die of a nervous breakdown.

So I walked to another college and looked for a client. We conferred and she said that she will inquire with the barangay. Then I ate lunch consisting of pasta, rice, and viand. It was supposed to be just pasta but I still felt hungry and ate more.

I went back to the office and handed over two cases to our newest member. One was for monitoring; the other was for termination. I also got two envelopes for an active case.

My co-interns and I went to Saligan. Our bosses are really good and funny people. We introduced ourselves to the current interns. There were eight of them, compared to only four of us from the start, two from Ateneo Human Rights Center, and one from Canada.

Our director gave us many good pieces of advice and anecdotes: 1. Watch A Few Good Men before your trial. Practice whatever Tom Cruise does. 2. Professors talk about their students among themselves. It's reverse Malcolm Madness. 3. Be prepared for class and for trial. Though the director was very kind, he might still fail students who don't make the grade.

I got a text that the trip to prison was cancelled because of tensions. I thought the meeting will be cancelled but it still pushed through. So the director of the lab told us about the rules and guidlines when we do visit.

1. Dress modestly, simply, and comfortably. Wear denim pants and cotton shirts. No sleeveless, no shorts, no skirts. 2. Never go to the jail cells. 3. Avoid giving money to prisoners. 4. Avoid taking records with you. Browse the records and take notes. 4. Avoid using prison rest rooms. Urinate and defecate before you enter.

I went to a computer shop and typed the rejection letters in Filipino and the information for the prison visit. They now ask for the name of the visitor, the name of the prisoner, the purpose of the visit, and the dates of visitation. I was able to do all of them in one hour.

I ate dinner and went back home. Now I am going back in my mind to tell you what happened today.

PS. I changed some proper names to common nouns so that I won't reveal private or confidential information.

No comments:

Post a Comment