Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Gaming reality

I read this morning on College Hack or Lifehacker that one college student turned his resolutions to a game. Every time he did something positive, he added a point. But when he did something bad, he deducted a point. This goes on until a habit is formed.

So today, I made a list of good habits I wanted to develop. I want to wake up, shower, and dress earlier. I want to drink more water, take my vitamins and medicine, and floss my teth. I want to read cases, annotations, and provisions. I want to read cases in the original and organize my files too.

Then I gave the good habit points. So I give more points if I do these habits earlier or more often But I have not yet done penalties for bad habits. I will do a test run first on good habits only. Maybe next week, I could add the penalties for bad habits.

This evening, I watched a video of game designer Jane Macgoginal on TED. She said gaming can help people solve real world problems. How? Games help us focus before we reach an epic win.

Jane told the story of Lydians in ancient Greece who played games during famines to save on food and went on an epic adventure to search new lands. Apparently that land was Italy and ancient Rome.

Now, they are making games to deal with real world problems, such as World Without Oil and Superstruct. I just downloaded Super Better, an app that makes building habits a game. But I cannot register. Maybe tomorrow or later, I can try again like a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment